THE CRASH & BURN: an endocrine system in crisis
All through 2014, I was on top of the world! I had discovered an amazing nutritional cleansing system that took me from being exhausted ALL the time and dragging my self through life one day at time to being an energiser bunny, bouncing off the walls having rediscovered my ZEST and passion for life (that I can’t remember having since I was a kid!!)
Unbeknownst to me, however, my system was in crisis and had been for many years. I had been staying on top of it (just) through naturopath visits and taking natural herbs & supplements.
The ultimate CRASH & BURN kicked off in 2015 when I wasn’t dealing with my stress and after a period of prolonged work and financial stress, my adrenal glands packed it in and I had to drastically change the way I was living my life, due to the inability to function as normal. Luckily for me I work part-time from home so was just able to keep on top of my work & still pay my bills. If I had a full-time 9-5 job – I would not have been able to cope & would have had to take many months off work…… ?
For those of you not familiar with adrenal fatigue and an endocrine system in crisis, these are some of the symptoms:
- Extreme fatigue & feeling run down and overwhelmed ALL the time.
- Waking up (wide awake) at approx. 2:30am in the morning & can’t get back to sleep
- Struggling to get out of bed by 8:30am in the morning even after 12-13 hrs sleep!
- Inability to handle even the smallest stressor (think regular meltdowns)
- Low (no) sex drive
- Weight gain
- Irritability, mild depression
- Many many others!
What I have since learned;
about the human endocrine system is that it involves an intricate balance of hormones and when one of the parts of the system fails or is out of balance it can cause a domino like effect – this is what happened to me.
I have been dealing with adrenal fatigue, PCOS (poly-cystic ovary syndrome), hypothyroidism & regular debilitating migraines. Probably THE MOST FRUSTRATING part of this illness is that I COULD NOT find a Western Doctor or Specialist to even RECOGNISE that there was anything wrong with me. That was SO hard to deal with!!! BOY do they have a lot to learn about health ?
I do not share all of this with you to get your sympathy; I am merely hoping that my experiences can help someone else who might be struggling with similar issues.
Rather than wallowing in self-pity…. although I must admit to having a few days along the way where I fell in a heap sobbing “when will it end?” and “why me?”….. I am after all human!! ….. I tried to focus on the lessons I could learn from dealing with this illness and these are the main ones:
- Patience really IS a virtue! I used to joke a lot early on in the illness how ironic it was that I (one of the most IM-patient people) ended up with an illness that required mammoth amounts of patience in order to recover! I think the Universe was sending me a powerful message – so I listened and focused on learning to be as patient as I could. I am still by no means the most patient person I know, but I have come a LONG way ?
- GRATITUDE is EVERYTHING…. I had already started a gratitude journal prior to getting sick, but what I learned was that in my hardest times and my lowest moods, my newfound ability to find something to be grateful for REALLY helped. I sincerely believe that the Universe responds to your attitude more than anything and if you can keep on reaching for your dreams and being grateful for what you do have, it makes a BIG difference.
- NEVER give up! I now believe that this illness was sent to teach me valuable lessons. I have learned more about patience, persistence, perseverance, and feeling knocked down again and again, but I ALWAYS get back up.
I am SO passionate about sharing what I have learnt and helping people chase their dreams and discover better health. Believe it or not, I am actually GRATEFUL that I suffered this setback/illness/struggle. I can better relate to the setbacks, struggles and mindset challenges that many others will face.
- Surround your self with people who love you unconditionally and will support you through the tough times (thanks to my darling Warren for his patience, & unwavering support – there were many times that I could NOT have kept going without him).
IT’S A LONG ROAD, BUT I WILL GET THERE:
It’s now been almost 2 years since I got sick. Almost 1 year since I started to feel better after finding a truly amazing alternative healer. Namaste, Rita ?
So where am I now?
I still suffer setbacks and still struggle occasionally. The migraines have pretty much gone. I feel back to about 80-85% most of the time. There are also have days where I feel like my old self (think energiser bunny operating on all cylinders).
My hormones are still a little out of whack, and I have days that are much harder than others. Thankfully they are few and far between now ?
One of the WONDERFUL things that has come from this experience, I am now even MORE motivated to help others. My new business idea (coaching/mentoring) grew from the research and personal development I have been doing to help get me better and stay healthy. I am SO EXCITED about the next stage and would love to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences. Maybe I can help…..? ?